Pet doors are there in plenty of varieties and you can easily find a comfortable size pet door to be fixed on to walls, doors, patios, windows or anywhere. Fixing pet door is considered inevitable in houses with pets lately, as it not only offers ultimate freedom for the pets to move around, but also ensures full peace of mind to the pet parents too.
Further I have created an FAQ for the pet owners considering to purchase and install an adequate pet door.
Which size of pet door I need to choose?
- Pet doors come in various standard sizes now to fit to the animals of all sizes and breeds. There are most than 15 standard sizes available now in stores. Apart from this, you also have the option to order custom-built pet doors too.
- While assessing the size, there are three major measurements you need to take of your pet to identify the size of your pet door.
- Width – measure the widest point of your pet, say in dogs it’s the distance between two shoulder blades.
- Height – measure from top of the shoulder to the floor. You may need to get the door flaps at least two inches above the top portion of your pet’s back.
- Rise – You need to take this measurement on installing a panel model pet door with a built-in rise. If your dog is short-legged or older, avoid a door with rise.
- Try to make a sample door first on a piece of cardboard after taking the measurements of your pet. You can take it to the store in order get a better understanding of the size while purchasing.
Which model should I choose?
- This decision purely depends on your budget and the comfort of your pet in using a door. Also keep in mind the location where you are planning to fix the pet door. There are door, wall, glass, patio-mounting doors available and there are plenty of options in sizes, colors, working mechanisms etc. Choosing among automatic pet doors and mechanical doors is another important choice to make.
Can the pet doors be locked?
- Of course, you can keep your pet doors locked as your main doors of the house. Various manufacturers offer various locking mechanisms for locking pet doors. For additional security, some pet door manufacturers also offer optional covers for exteriors. You can also lock the pet doors from inside when you are away from home for many days.
Will it prevent rodents, insects, and other animals from getting inside?
- Top quality pet doors have a perfect sealant system, which will prevent any insects from getting inside. Small animals and rodents cannot push in the strong pet doors, which are designed for cats and dogs. The modern electronic pet doors can also prevent intruders by rightly sensing the authorized ones with a sensor attached to their collar to get open.
Answers to some other frequently asked questions are;
- Pet doors are available in different colors.
- The new model pet doors are highly energy efficient too.
- Dogs and cats can easily get accustomed to pet doors with some basic training.
- Installation of the pet doors can be done yourself by following the instructions given in the kit and some basic tools.
You can do a bit of research to find out answers for any other specific questions you have by going through the other pet door articles in this series.