One of the greatest gifts you can give to your pet is a dog door. You pet will love you for this. It also removes the stress of you having to get up all the time when your pet wishes to come in or go out!
There are a number of dog doors available in the market. You can choose from different types. However, it is important for you to invest only once for your pet door. You do not want to go to the market and buy your pet door again and again. It is important for you to measure your pet accurately so that you only buy your pet door once. This does not mean that you take your pet and measure its height and width directly. This is not the correct process. Given below are some easy tips for you to take into consideration before you go out into the market to buy your dog door-
Dog Doors – Never measure your pet directly
This has been already mentioned in the paragraph above. Please keep that in mind- both you and your pet may not like it too! For getting the right pet do the following-
- Choose a door that is comfortable for your dog to walk through
- If your pet does not obey you, use a treat for motivating it
- Measure the width of that door
- The flap of the prospective dog door you plan to get for your pet should at least be that wide. You do not need a pet door that is wider than that door. The flap top should be at least one inch taller than the height of your pet.
- The distance of the bottom of the ground and the top of the flap should not exceed one-third height of the withers. This is known as step-over. Your pet needs to step over to pass through the door. Please make sure that the step over part of the door is low. Check if your pet has a low chest or a deep slung. You should adjust the measurement of the door accordingly.
With the above tips, you are able to make your dog door comfortable for your beloved pet to use. After all it should be accessible for it to pass through without trouble. When you take care to measure the pet door with time, you will face no hassles in the future. There may be a time when your pet is injured or becomes old. There may be mobility issues. He is a family member and deserves as much care as you do.
Therefore, if you love your pet and want him to be happy, ensure you get the right pet door for him. He may be young and physically active now but he will become old and less agile one day. Show him your love by investing in a good quality dog door that makes it accessible for him to move in or out without problems at all. Your pet will love you for this!