Power pet doors are considered as optimum solutions for the pet owners to offer the most comfortable access to their four-legged friends. Moreover, compared to the conventional flap or sliding pet doors, power pet doors are much safer too.
Offering complete peace of mind to the homeowners, electronic pet doors effectively eradicate the possibility of any unauthorised intruders into your home.
Working of power pet doors
There are various types of electronic, RFID-based, and magnetic powered pet doors, but most of them follow the same working principle. The door is programmed to open by sensing an electronic, infrared, or magnetic transmission device attached to the dog’s collar.
After the authorised pet passes in or out, the door will lock automatically. There are also remote control models now, which will allow the pet owners to open and close the doors as needed.
Advantages of power pet doors
There are many advantages to power pet doors when compared to the conventional pet doors as;
- A better control over who got access to home and a higher level security.
- Perfect weather sealing to improve energy efficiency.
- There is no extra effort needed for the pets to push open the door with the nose to get in.
- Fully eliminates the possibility of burglars, wandering animals, or wild animals getting into home.
Power pet door styles
If you are planning to purchase a power pet doors, there various models and styles of pet doors available in this category. Choose one based on your specific needs and budget.
- Wall mounted doors – This can be installed through the wall, ensuring more safety.
- Door mounted pet doors – Can be fixed on to exterior door and there is no need for a tunnel.
- Patio pet door – Installed onto the patio door frame, which can come as a part of the patio door itself.
- Window mounted pet doors – Can be fixed on to the glass window panel, which can also be easily removed.
Power pet door troubleshooting
A few frequent problems to power pet doors as below with possible solutions.
1) The door stops rising and lights blink while opening
Solution: Replace the motor or replace the power supply
2) Door panel keeps on moving up and down
Solution: Replace wire harness and check the main circuit.
3) Short of or no range at outside and/or inside sensors.
Solution: Replace the sensor cable or replace the circuit board.
4) Door goes up very slowly or sticks on to the top
Solution: Clean the door using mild soap and water / apply dry lubricant / try to loosen the mounting screws / replace the motor assembly.
5) Door getting opened by itself
Solution: Access the front panel settings to reduce the range setting.
6) Door not opening with collar or manual button
Solution: Replace the main circuit board
If you face any major problems with power pet doors, first check whether the warranty period is over. If not, you may get a free replacement of the faulty part and free troubleshooting support. In other cases too, always take power pet doors to authorised service centres to get appropriate spare parts and proper servicing.