Pet doors are ideal comfort measures to your pets in order to offer them optimum freedom. Not just to the pets, but you can also enjoy many benefits on installing a pet door.
On having a pet door, the owners;
- Need not have to work anymore as a doorman to your pets for letting them in and out.
- Don’t have to wake up at midnight or while watching TV to help them out.
- Don’t have to suffer anymore soiling inside when you are out.
- No more scratching at your walls or furniture and lesser accidents.
The benefits your doggie or cat may enjoy are;
- No need to wait for or disturb the master to go out and in.
- Pets, especially dogs, enjoy running and playing around a lot, which is facilitated by a pet door.
- Don’t have to control their bowel and bladder urges for long.
- Get adequate exercise and good health without any restrictions.
Choosing a pet door
There are plenty of varieties of pet doors available in the market now. They are in various shapes, sizes, colours, materials, and mechanisms. We will discuss a few major options here.
- Electronic pet doors
These are ideal for pets of any sizes. Similar to the conventional flap doors, these can be fitted on to any doors, windows, or walls. The components of these doors include an insulated flap, sealed frame, sensors, pet collar access. The major advantage of an electronic pet door is that it will open only for authorised pets and blocks any unwanted intrusions.
- Power pet doors
There are small, large, and medium-sized power pet doors for pets ranging from 30 lbs to 100 lbs. The pet doors can be installed through doors and walls. These doors consist of sliding panels and airtight sealing. The doors feature dead bolt locking with magnetic sensors to open the door.
- Flap pet doors
These are the most conventional types of pet doors, which consist of a sturdy frame and flap. The flap needed to be pushed open by the pet to get in and out. These are less secured when compared to electronic and power pet doors, but are ideal for smaller pets.
- Patio panel doors
Unlike those installed through doors and walls, patio panel doors are more of temporary type pet doors. These can be easily installed and removed through patio panels. There are various models available made of plastic and vinyl materials.
Training the pets
Next to installing a comfortable pet door, you also need to train the pets for the first few days to use it effectively. Some tips to note while training the pets include.
- It may take a few days for them to get familiarised with the new concept and you have to be patient to get them through it.
- On using a flap door, start first with the flap fully open to get rid of the fear and then slowly advance to ultimately closing the flap and letting them push open it.
- Use abundant praising and motivation when they do it successfully to reiterate the habit.
- Don’t try to shove or pull your pets through the doors.
- If you find the pet still finds it a fearful affair even after long, get the assistance of an expert pet trainer.
- Don’t train all the pets together if there are more than one. The best approach is to train the eldest one first and the younger may simply follow.
There are many internet videos and training tips available, which you can watch in order to get more ideas about pet door training.